 Robotics / RCX / 2144
Re: light sensor question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:17:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Aaron Goodman wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Katie Panciera wrote:
I am writing a research paper about work I have done with Mindstorms this
summer. One thing that I used a lot was the light sensor, but I am having a hard
time finding what exactly the sensor measures. I was wondering if anyone could
give me any direction as to the units of the light sensor.
Thanks,
Katie

Is this what your looking for?
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/light.htm

in terms of what units it mesures it in I don't think it really has any. it is
just a relative reading from 0-100.

What I'm looking for is really the latter of the topics. It seems to me that it
must have some sort of units, because I've never seen it hit zero even with
alterations (as Ralph Hempel has described on his site). It seems like it should
be measuring some aspect of the light. I thought that I'd read somewhere that
the light sensor with the original firmware (I'm using brickOS) uses a scale
from 0-1000 but rounds that off and gives you 0-100. Any other thoughts out
there?