 Robotics / RCX / 2031
Re: What sort of signals(values) can be transmitted and received by the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 22:37:12 GMT

Juergen Stuber wrote:

"Michael Franklin Bosu" <mfbosu@yahoo.com> writes:

From all the readings I have done,if I understood what I
read correctly, then it appears that only hexadecimal
values can be transmitted from the PC to the RCX or the
RCX communicates with only hexadecimal.

No, integers are integers whether written decimal or hexadecimal
(or in binary or whatever other base[*]). • 0x1 = 1. 0xf = 15. 0xbe = 11*16+14 = 190 (I think.) It's that simple.

What you can do depends on the software you use.

The SendMessage command in the standard firmware can send values
in the range 0-255 (0x00-0xff, 1 byte).

But 0 is not recommended, as it's the value used when no message has been
recieved.
I don't know what brickOS offers, at least you can convert to
bytes by hand and send them. • brickOS is the best: it has LNP, an addressed protocol like UDP.

Since you have to begin with a header like this: 0x55 0xff 0x00

Never mind the header, that's internal RCX business. • Actually, it has to do with the standard Lego firmware.
[*] Using Fibonacci numbers as the base allows to convert quite accurately
    between km and miles just by shifting :->
Coincidence? I think not.
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
        - Douglas Adams