 Robotics / RCX / 2030
Re: What sort of signals(values) can be transmitted and received by the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 11:56:43 GMT

"Michael Franklin Bosu" <mfbosu@yahoo.com> writes:

I want to know whether it is possible to transmit integers
from the PC to the RCX.

Yes.

From all the readings I have done,if I understood what I
read correctly, then it appears that only hexadecimal
values can be transmitted from the PC to the RCX or the
RCX communicates with only hexadecimal.

No, integers are integers whether written decimal or hexadecimal
(or in binary or whatever other base[*]).

What you can do depends on the software you use.

The SendMessage command in the standard firmware can send values
in the range 0-255 (0x00-0xff, 1 byte).

In Lejos you can send strings and all primitive data types
(no serialization of objects).

I don't know what brickOS offers, at least you can convert to
bytes by hand and send them.

Since you have to begin with a header like this: 0x55 0xff 0x00

Never mind the header, that's internal RCX business.

Jürgen

[*] Using Fibonacci numbers as the base allows to convert quite accurately
    between km and miles just by shifting :->

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/

rot 13 "fr"