 Robotics / RCX / 1970
Re: RCX assembly instructions of Lego quality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 02:52:31 GMT

Don’t forget Nostarch Press!
They have 2 great books that are definitely worth looking at including Jin
Sato's LEGO® MINDSTORMS The Master's Technique. I had the privilege of
building his robotic dog last night and really had a lot of fun with it. The
build will probably be too intense for your 6 yr. old but would definitely
be a great project to tackle together.

http://www.nostarch.com/
http://www.nostarch.com/robotics/index.htm

Hope this helps
OnDrew

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Kevin Clague writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Pat LaVarre writes:
Where do I go to find more RCX assembly instructions of Lego quality?

For free or for money?

Hi Pat,

Syngress has two books out dedicated to RCX models.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931836612/qid=1045065779/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_15/104-7403796-8325562?v=glance&s=books

One of the Robots in the Ultimate Builder's book is mine.  It is a two legged
walker.

The newsgroup http://news.lugnet.com/inst/ is dedicated to building
instructions.  From there you can get to the building instructions portal.

I don't know if you are familiar with the LDraw family of CAD tools for
generating and viewing building instructions electronically.  The program MLCad
can be used to create and view building instructions.

I have some RCX robots on my website that are documented using MLCad.
http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague.  I don't know if the models are at a six
year older's skill level, but you can peek.

Kevin

I ask because I know a six year old who can now confidently assemble a robot
from the Lego instructions.  I think because those instructions show and count
each part in colour, because they show each subassembly in order, etc.  I • think
part of the fun comes from having so many combinations supported e.g. being
able to choose any of several kinds of arm/ leg/ head.

I was disappointed when I saw the Ultimate Builders Set instructions shipped • as
a CD, rather than as printed full colour glossy sheets like in the RIS 1.5 • kit.
But I could print my own sheets, if I found something like a colour .pdf.

Cluelessly, curiously, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre