 Robotics / RCX / 197
Re: fast firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 05:31:16 GMT

In article <000001bf232a$bf046c80$0500000a@pro150>, "Ralph Hempel"
<rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:

What do you think Dave? There are not too many filenames that are too
long. Do you think we could chop the long ones so things work on any
platform?

Sorry, but I'm going to be stubborn on this one.  I abhor short (often
cryptic) filenames.  In the NQC source tree, almost every class is in its
own file, which is of course named after the class.  So in a sense,
truncating the filenames is more than just renaming files - it also either
requires classnames to be changed, or it breaks the class/filename
convention.  I'm not happy with either alternative.

Is there seriously the need to be able to build NQC on an 8.3 system?  I'm
not talking about running the executable - but actually performing the
build.  If so, how well do those compilers handle long filenames in
#includes?  Do they just look for the truncated name?  If so, things may
work fine as is - offhand I don't think there are any collisions when
truncating to 8.3.  Anyone tried this?

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com