 Robotics / RCX / 1712
Re: I^2C bus with LEGO Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:59:25 GMT

Hi Jan,

I tested it and it's veeeeery sloooooooooww.

Elektuur writes that the interface could be an extention of the RCX for • more
sensors you may use for your roboter. The software is written for NQC and
uses some sensor functions to realize the i2c protocol. Perhaps it's
possible to get the protocol routines faster in assembler code or in
optimized NQC.

Might be something to ask Dave Baum
Or someone could try implementing it in a custom firmware, that might speed
things up.

It's a very educational project that shows the details of the i2c
protocol.

How slow is "sloooooooooww" ? ( :D ) Do I need to think in seconds delay? Is
it good enough for realtime controlling?

You can get one or two signals per second. I tested it with the knight rider
test tool from the same Elektuur project and with the 4 digit led display.
This is a very old project from Elektuur ... the serial number is 920004-11
... I think ist from 1992 ... I remembered that I assembled and programmed
it when it came out.

BTW there's a compass in the latest Elektuur, also for the RCX... gonna run
out and get it to check it out. Might be useful, specially since the only
commercial version I've seen so far is WAY too expensive (over $100)

yes I read it too ... and it's too expensive. For a compass have a look at
http://www.restena.lu/convict/Jeunes/LEGO_Compass.htm
http://www.restena.lu/convict/Jeunes/Pic_Compass.htm
http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/CompassSensor2.htm

But I don't know if these sensors are cheaper ...

Ralf