 Robotics / RCX / 1710
Re: LEGO cuts the price of the RCX Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:20:03 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <todd@lugnet.com> schreef in bericht
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Scott Davis writes:
The RCX Bricks on sale are the 1.0 version.

Hallelujah!

I think that they are just geting rid of them to make space in their
warehouses for other lego sets.  The only diffference is 1.0 have a plug
so you can use an adapter and use your outlets instead of the batteries.
The 1.0 does accept the 2.0 firmware.

A couple questions for someone with a multimeter:

Does the 1.0 power adapter output a clean 9v DC?  Or does it • overcompensate --
at, say, 9.3v -- like other cheap wall adapters?

If the LEGO US 110v adapter is similair to the Europe 220v adapter in terms
of output : it outputs around 9.2-11.4v AC (note the AC, DC might burn out
the diodes in the RCX as I read somewhere a while back. 11.4 is without ANY
load... drops to about 10v under light load)

http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/ has some more details.

Does the voltage drop by
more than 1% while powering a couple motors?

Yeah, a little bit when running 3 motors. I see drops of about 0.3-0.5v
Doesn't have any serious effect on the motors though.

Does the output voltage depend
on your wall voltage (e.g., 110v/115v/120v) or does the adapter contain a
power regulator circuit outputting a known voltage regardless of the • accuracy
of the input voltage?

No electronics whatsoever if you ask me... hard to say unless I open up one,
but resistance indicates the ouput comes straight from the secundary
windings of the transformator inside the wall adapter (ie is almost 0)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://artsen.vanree.net
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net