 Robotics / RCX / 1701
Re: USB tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 05:18:25 GMT

In article <GxCMGu.75n@lugnet.com>,
"Greg Frazier" <glfrazier@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

Hello -

In the past I have burned out serial port towers, so I recently acquired
the USB version of the IR tower.  I did not realize that NQC makes use
of the lego driver - it is looking like I have to purchase an entire
RIS just to get Ghost.  Is that really true?  Or is there another route
to obtaining the driver?

-- Greg Frazier

Ghost is included with the 2.0 SDK - http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2

NQC USB support is different on every platform.  For platforms that Lego
supported, I needed to work through their drivers - otherwise people
would have to install one set of drivers for NQC, and another for RIS
(and they would be mutually exclusive)...

Windows - Lego driver accessed as a COM port
Mac OS 9 - Lego driver via Ghost
Mac OS X - custom USB code within NQC
Linux - custom 3rd party work, not in the main NQC distro yet

Dave