 Robotics / RCX / 1521
Re: Using USB Tower with Alternative Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:46:04 GMT

In article <CAEBIOGHPFFJALBLJBEDGEBLDAAA.rhempel@bmts.com>,
<rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I have some questions about alternative firmware support for USB
towers. As the author of pbForth, I'm getting lots of requests
to integrate USB tower support into the package.

The old tower plugged into a seraial port, and for some
MAc users, a USB/Serial interface worked well. Now that
the tower is native USB, what does the driver look like to
a program running on the computer. Is it a serial port
or does it need a special device driver?

I guess I'll need to get a USB tower to test this out
with too :-(

Here's where I'm at for NQC...

Windows - The Lego driver does a pretty good job of making the tower
look like a comm port but with a different name (\\.\LEGOTOWER1),
although I believe calls to set the baud rate/parity/etc fail.

MacOS 9 - no support yet, although Lego should be releasing a driver
soon (its the same driver used by Robolab).  This won't look like a
serial port at all.

Mac OS X - no support from Lego.  For NQC, I wrote application level
code that directly talks with the tower.  After the configuration stuff
its pretty simple - interrupt transfers to and from the tower for the
data streams.

Linux - no NQC support yet.  Apparently interrupt transfers aren't well
supported in Linux and since the Lego tower uses interrupt transfer (as
opposed to bulk transfer), this has made it a bit difficult to write a
driver or application code.  Several people are looking at this, so
hopefully we'll have a Linux solution soon.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com