 Robotics / RCX / 1486
RE: inverted penulum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:17:52 GMT

Thanks for the information. We started with the mathematical approach, but
this seems to be extremely complex and not too useful for a reliable design
with LEGO-Technic and the RCX. Solving that kind of differential equations
in real time is perhaps impossible with the RCX.

Instead we think working upon a fuzzy self-learning algorithm, but we don't
know yet how.

On the technical side some people tried the challenge with light-sensors and
rotation-sensors. The rotation-sensor has a rather disappointing resolution
for these purpose, where we have to measure very small angles precisely.

Our KMZ-51 magnetic field sensor (which we used as a compass on
http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/RoboticsIntro.htm ) may be used for detecting
deviations from the vertical. It is very sensitive. But before use we must
check the sensor-response to the vertical earth-magnetic-field. This will be
our next test-unit.

Of course we need some help this time.

Claude Baumann