 Robotics / RCX / 1434
Re: Psion 5mx firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:29:08 GMT

Ian SMith <ian@achrn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
Can anyone point me towards a description of teh method of a fast
downloader?  I couldn't find anything in teh above referenced pages
(I might have missed it though).  Sadly, I don't read C, but perl or basic
or most unix shell scripts source would do.

As far as I know, the fast downloader is not documented except as C code.
There may also have been some posts to this newsgroup or the legos one back
when that code was written.  I forget whether Marcus and I discussed this
more by e-mail or by newsgroup.

The fast downloader relies on a fast mode wich uses 4800 baud, no parity,
no complements, but still the 55 ff 00 headers and the checksum byte.

The steps to do the download are:

1) Detect the state of the RCX

   See whether or not the RCX is in fast mode.  This is done by sending an
   alive message using the fast mode settings.  If you get a valid
   response, the RCX is in fast mode.  If you get an invalid response, the
   the RCX is probably in slow mode, but to make absolutely sure, send
   another alive message using the normal settings.  If a valid response is
   received this time, the RCX is in slow mode.  Otherwise there is trouble
   and an error is reported.

2) If the RCX is in slow mode, download a short stub program

   The program hacks the state of RCX to put it into fast mode.  The
   program you need to download is called fastdl.s and is part of the
   lastest firmdl, located here:

   http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/firmdl3.tar.gz

3) Download the real program in fast mode

   Again, 4800 baud, no parity, no complements, but still the 55 ff 00
   headers and the checksum byte.  Unlock the firmware when done.

While I'm at it, does anyone want a psion based firmware downloader?

What is Psion?

-Kekoa