 Robotics / RCX / 1433
1432  |  1434
Subject:
Psion 5mx firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:16:29 GMT

I've written a firmware downloader that runs on a Psion 5mx (and probably
an older 5, but I haven't tested it).  I should note this uses the IR
tower connected to teh cable serial port (via lego's cable, psion's cable
and a null modem adaptor, because psion's cable won't fit down the hole to
the serial port on teh back of the tower) not the psion's own IR emitter.

That I've got this far is largely due to www.crynwr.com and Kekoa
Proudfoot's pages.  However, I now want to improve the download speed -
it's fairly slow 'cos the psion thinks for an detectable time while
assembling checksums (and takes a while to read the S-record file before it
even starts transmitting).

Can anyone point me towards a description of teh method of a fast
downloader?  I couldn't find anything in teh above referenced pages
(I might have missed it though).  Sadly, I don't read C, but perl or basic
or most unix shell scripts source would do.

While I'm at it, does anyone want a psion based firmware downloader?  It's
particularly handy with pbforth because having downloaded the firmware you
can switch over to teh comms app and program away.  If you load the
lego firmware the psion will tell you the battery level in teh RCX,
but all other functionality (more information back from teh RCX, control
teh outputs and so on) is to come.  Also, I've not built a .SIS yet,
so you'll have to do a manual install.

regards,          Ian SMith