 Robotics / RCX / 1393
Re: Anyone know how to build a stall sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:12:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, John Barnes writes:
I assume you have already discarded the simple approach of using
a rotation sensor and detecting that it has stopped rotating. (This
gives you an odometer for free!)

Yes. I just got a rotation sensor. Trouble is that the motors could stop for
a variety of reasons (like the robot isn't moving).

That isn't the real reason though (I could always handle that in software).
The real reason is that ever since I first heard of stall (and slip) sensing
I always thought it sounded kind of neat. Plus a current sensor would be
solid state. Plus I just find it hard to believe that its never been done -
on the RCX that is.

I just read that RCX sensors work by sensing current anyhow (is that right?)
Trouble is I'm simply not hardware savvy enough to know how to measure
current without interfering with the operation of the motor itself. Plus I'd
probably then have to scale it into some specific range. Plus a whole bunch
of other stuff I'm probably not even aware of.

Just thoughts.

Or if you don't have a rotation sensor, you can use the half width six
hole pulley to interrupt a light in front of the normal light sensor to
tell when the motor shaft stops spinning.

JB

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jerry Kalpin writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Paul Andrews writes:
Hi,

I'd like to be able to monitor the current being drawn by a motor using the
RCX (not the CyberMaster :-( ), so that I can detect stalls and possibly
spins. I can't believe that this is particularly hard but I can't find any
references to one on the web and I'm not a hardware kind of guy so I don't
really know where to start.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone point me at schematics/build instructions?

Regards - Paul.

I suppose you've already considered using the white 24 tooth clutch (looks
like a gear)to limit the torque and prevent motor stalls...

No. I didn't know it existed. Of itself it is interesting, but I actually
want to use stalls as a means of collision detection.

Jerry