 Robotics / RCX / 1391
Re: Anyone know how to build a stall sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:15:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Paul Andrews writes:
Hi,

I'd like to be able to monitor the current being drawn by a motor using the
RCX (not the CyberMaster :-( ), so that I can detect stalls and possibly
spins. I can't believe that this is particularly hard but I can't find any
references to one on the web and I'm not a hardware kind of guy so I don't
really know where to start.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone point me at schematics/build instructions?

Regards - Paul.

Hi Paul,
I was interested in doing the very same thing a while ago. It sure would save
on sensors if the motors had their own feedback! I know (as you are probably
aware also) that the current can be monitored using the cybermaster. I saw how
Bert Vandam used this trick to shut off a compressor when the pressure got high
enough. Check out www.bvandam.net
I actually emailed Bert and asked him if this was possible with an RCX. He said
that only the cybermaster can monitor current. So, as it stands, the RCX
does not have this capability. Now, maybe with some replacement firmware this
would be possible... Please let me know i you find anything out,
Rob