 Robotics / RCX / 1245
    Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long) —Ralph Hempel
   The following information is my own opinion and not endorsed or verified in any way by LEGO. That being said, I think that now is the time to relate some experiences I've had over the past couple of months with my RCX and IR tower - and it boils (...) (23 years ago, 26-May-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long) —Dean Husby
   (...) I'm pretty sure I know your problem to your number 2... The IR Tower has no protection against higher power. Running an unregulated power source into the IR tower is not a good idea! Use a 9v regulator package (The little 3 prong packages with (...) (23 years ago, 26-May-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        RE: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long) —Ralph Hempel
   (...) Actually, there's a regulator on the Tower that takes the voltage for the digital side to +5 and keeps it there. The capacitor is only rated for 10V. The higher voltage will allow higher current through the IREDs as they are connected right to (...) (23 years ago, 26-May-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        RE: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long) —Ralph Hempel
   Even more interesting.... I've also just replaced the IRED I replaced a few hours ago in my RCX :-( This time, I'm putting a limiting resistor between the IREDs in the RCX to keep the current within limits. The following is pure conjecture on my (...) (23 years ago, 26-May-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long) —Dean Husby
   (...) Maybe this is shedding some light on why LEGO removed the Power Port in the 1.5's. To remove a known problem without dealing with it.?.?.? Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego Club: (URL) (23 years ago, 26-May-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)