 Robotics / RCX / 1249
Re: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 20:12:56 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Even more interesting....

I've also just replaced the IRED I replaced a few hours
ago in my RCX :-(

This time, I'm putting a limiting resistor between the
IREDs in the RCX to keep the current within limits.

The following is pure conjecture on my part...

I think that they (LEGO) are using a MOSFET to drive
the IREDs in the RCX, and depending on the RdsON of
the part, it limits the current in the IREDs in high
power mode (which is what I set the output too)

Anyways, off to RadioShack for more IREDs....

Cheers, Ralph Hempel

Maybe this is shedding some light on why LEGO removed the Power Port in
the 1.5's. To remove a known problem without dealing with it.?.?.?

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html