 Robotics / RCX / 1117
Re: Remote Control Internals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:30:47 GMT

In article <GABxnA.FK7@lugnet.com>, "Paul Wilson"
<pwilson@global.co.za> wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Greg Betzel writes:
Is there any tech. documentation/FAQ's for the remote control?

Basically I need to know what it sends to the RCX.  Does it send special
opcodes, or regular RCX 1 commands?  I don't see any remote control ops
documented, like there are in the RCX 2 firmware.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Betzel
Hi Greg,
Have you managed to obtain any info on the remote yet?
I would like to build my own.
Happy hunting,
Paul Wilson

The LEGO remote control sends bytecode D2 (documented in the RCX 2.0
SDK, but also supported in the 1.0 firmware).  When multiple buttons are
pressed, the appropriate bits are ORed together in the data portion of
the packet.  The packet gets sent repeatedly as long as you hold down
button(s).  Once the buttons are released it sends another D2 packet
with 0's for the data (to turn off anything that was running).  I think
it actually sends multiple "off" commands, though I don't recall how
many.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com