 Robotics / RCX / 11
Re: Some goals, ideas, etc. for a new bytecode interpreter (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 17:25:50 GMT

Mark Tarrabain  <markt@lynx.bc.ca> wrote:
I imagine all new debugging functions to be implemented with a single
IR-only opcode, to keep the impact on the opcode space small.

Hrm, but wouldn't the lengths of all the debugging opcodes be the same
in that case?

Sure, but that's what zero padding is for.  Since the opcode is IR-only,
you don't care too much about length.  The only length restriction comes
from the second digit of the opcode, assuming you're using the ROM to
receive incoming IR data.

Although technically every instruction could be a legitimate breakpoint,
in practice, the only breakpoints in a program would be at the first
instruction for a given source line (since a single line of source code
may map to more than a single instruction).

Some people might want to step through the disasm, no?  Especially if they
do not yet trust the compiler.

I can see this being useful, but the debugging information should
definitely *NOT* exist on the RCX itself (it will take up too much
space).

Nobody said the debugging information should be stored on the RCX.
Clearly, some records in the file contain actual object code, and other
records contain other data.

-Kekoa