 Robotics / RCX / 1093
Re: 3 Sharps at one Input
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:28:31 GMT

Stef Mientki <s.mientki@ids.kun.nl> wrote in message
news:3A9F8C46.1B4C033D@ids.kun.nl...
You inspired me to build a kind of "general remote control box for test • purposes", based on
the time-multiplexed switch encoder.
The (rough and wild)  idea is to make a box with 3 potmeters, 4 switches, • by which you can
control the 3 motor outputs, the RCX display and adding some Leds  for • reading some RCX
status information.Such a control box would be very helpfull during the • design and test
phase.  I've planned to use the ideas published by Gasperi 3-mux (which • I'll plan to improve
by using a real current sourse, so you get exact evenly spaced measurement
values)

You can just hook pots and switches between the analog inputs and ground.
You don't need other buffering.  The RCX is trying to pull the inputs up to
5v already.

and the
Gasperi input-mixer which you als used. For the last I have some • suggestions to
change/improve?  the schematic:
1. use a 4051 instead of 4066, you get an 8-input device for the same • size/price
2. by using the 4051, you can't use the trick of channel 0, instead of • that you can use an
explicit reset by firing 2 consecutive pulses. This would give you also • the possibility to
read selective one of the sensors.

You could still arrange for a channel to read higher or lower than the
others and avoid the reset problem.  The 4051 with a binary counter like the
4029 would be an interesting alternative to my design.  I originally
selected the 4017 and 4066 based on the fact that you could get them from
Radio Shack retail.  Now I see you can't get the 4066 there anymore.
I'm working on a color sensor using my mux circuit and 3 CdS sensors with
red, green and blue filters.  I have a PC board for this design.  My intent
is to publish the sensor in a magazine.  More about this later.