 Robotics / RCX / 1064
Re: Programming Languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:43:33 GMT

From the Pitsco-Dacta online catalog, the current version of ROBOLAB ver 2.0
is W90051 and is called 'ROBOLAB Investigator'.  It includes the Programmer
software (which I hope is the full version).  It costs US$59.00.  But the
catalog material is sort of confusing.  Can someone confirm that I have it
right?

Where would I find the manual?  Does not seem to be on the page:
http://www.pldstore.com/pitsco2/catalog.cfm?dest=dir&linkid=45&linkon=subsection&orderid=ID142115312177698656

I used LabView many years ago when it first came out (on Macintosh).  It was
superb then and I am glad to see it ...survives!

Jerry

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Ben Erwin writes:

  I can only speak from experience about programming languages that use the
  standard firmware, since that's all I've used.

  *Spirit.OCX (I've used VB and J++): The worst way to program in the standard
  firmware.  non-intuitive syntax (even if you replace the numbers with
variable
  names).  lot's of ugly periods hanging around.  I only learned/used this
when I
  was making VB programs for all of the robots in my book and putting them
onto
  the CD-ROM.  Other than that I never use it.  I'm sure some of the GUI
  interfaces that people have made for use with the Spirit are pretty good,
but I
  haven't checked them out for more than a minute each.

  *RCX Code: Graphical.  OCX dependency.  The easiest way to write a
  quick-and-dirty sequential, simple-multitasking, and simple looping kinds of
  programs.  Not good for much else.  Good for kids with low motor
  skills/attention span.  No variables (yet) besides a simple counter.

  *NQC: There are some things that you can do with NQC that you can't do with
  ROBOLAB (I'm not sure exactly what - maybe someone else can elaborate).
Good
  if you're already used to C.  I first learned NQC when I translated all of
  Dave's programs for his first book into ROBOLAB for his CD-ROM (check 'em
out,
  I included jpg's too).  It took me a week, and it wasn't a pleasant
experience
  because I find ROBOLAB much more intuitive.

  *ROBOLAB: Graphical, like a flowchart.  Written in LabVIEW.  No OCX
dependency.
  The best standard firmware solution in my _biased_ opinion.  There are
things
  that you can do with ROBOLAB that you can't do with NQC (in an
out-of-the-box
  sense): Internet Communication, Graphing, Calculations on Data, Turn
programs
  into Web pages, etc.  Very intuitive.

  For non-standard-firmware languages, there is YBL (yellow brick logo) from
the
  media lab, legOS, pbForth, ... ??