 Robotics / RCX / 1062
Re: Programming Languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:41:01 GMT

   I can only speak from experience about programming languages that use the
   standard firmware, since that's all I've used.

   *Spirit.OCX (I've used VB and J++): The worst way to program in the standard
   firmware.  non-intuitive syntax (even if you replace the numbers with
variable
   names).  lot's of ugly periods hanging around.  I only learned/used this
when I
   was making VB programs for all of the robots in my book and putting them
onto
   the CD-ROM.  Other than that I never use it.  I'm sure some of the GUI
   interfaces that people have made for use with the Spirit are pretty good,
but I
   haven't checked them out for more than a minute each.

   *RCX Code: Graphical.  OCX dependency.  The easiest way to write a
   quick-and-dirty sequential, simple-multitasking, and simple looping kinds of
   programs.  Not good for much else.  Good for kids with low motor
   skills/attention span.  No variables (yet) besides a simple counter.

   *NQC: There are some things that you can do with NQC that you can't do with
   ROBOLAB (I'm not sure exactly what - maybe someone else can elaborate).
Good
   if you're already used to C.  I first learned NQC when I translated all of
   Dave's programs for his first book into ROBOLAB for his CD-ROM (check 'em
out,
   I included jpg's too).  It took me a week, and it wasn't a pleasant
experience
   because I find ROBOLAB much more intuitive.

   *ROBOLAB: Graphical, like a flowchart.  Written in LabVIEW.  No OCX
dependency.
   The best standard firmware solution in my _biased_ opinion.  There are
things
   that you can do with ROBOLAB that you can't do with NQC (in an
out-of-the-box
   sense): Internet Communication, Graphing, Calculations on Data, Turn
programs
   into Web pages, etc.  Very intuitive.

   For non-standard-firmware languages, there is YBL (yellow brick logo) from
the
   media lab, legOS, pbForth, ... ??