 Robotics / Palm Computing / 46
Re: The palm IR tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:27:31 GMT

Edward Gardner wrote:

Well, I have had great success using the palm to RCX tools (connecting the
Palm device to the IR tower for transmission to the bots) and somewhat limited
success with the Omniremote program that uses the built in IR port on the Palm
III.

Edward,
I have planned on updating the Palm Remote program for some time. The
main problem with OmniRemote is that it is recording a pure IR signal
along with the unavoidable background interference that is difficult to
minimize. Think of it as tape recording a song off the radio from the
speaker in a noisy room. What you get is a poor copy of the original
signal. OmniRemote doesn't work with the Scout brick for other reasons.

The thing is that for it to work with the Scout, the command signals
have
use the Lego Remote signals (that are different than the standard
signals
sent through the IR tower). The Lego Remote itself cannot be used to
program
with because the remote sends an extra signal at button release that
confuses the OmniRemote program. I will have to use the Scout SDK
software
to program the Scout brick to send the correct signals to program Palm
Remote.

I may even redesign the layout and have one version just for the RCX and
another for the Scout.

In any case, Omniremote will never be as reliable and a program that
sends a pure IR signal through the Palm's IR port. It seems that the
programmer of OmniRemote is the only one so far that has figured out how
to send non standard IR signals with the Palm IR port. Until someone
else figures this out and will share the secrets, Mike Kory's programs
are the most reliable.

Anyone else had success stories with these? I want to store some NQC proggies
and download to the bots, that would be ideal and very portable, but, I may be
wishing on too far a star :)

When the Palm internal IR problem is figured out, I'm sure that programs
like that will be attempted.

Robert Eddings