 Robotics / Palm Computing / 22
Re: LRemote version 1.1 available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:57:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.palm, Mike Kory writes:
Thanks for all the nice comments.
I've spent some time searching the web about IR. Since the Palm uses the
IrDA standard and so do PCs, I figured that someone must have written some
sort of remote control for PCs. And maybe they would have source code. It
seems that the general consensus is that it can't be done reliably.
Especially working for both input and output. We would need a reliable input
in order to use the Palm for anything but the most basic remote control
functions. Since no one has done it for PCs (at least that I was able to
find) I don't think it can be done for the Palm.

The OmniRemote is the only possible exception to all this. Robert, according
to your web page (http://www.bestnetdesign.com/palm/), "some buttons still
work only intermittently". If this is still the case, I don't think we can
use the  built-in Ir on the Palm. Another way to go is to add some sort of
hardware adapter to the Palm. This would give us additional range too, it
seems most (?) Palms have a range of only a few feet. Gary Mayhak
(www.talestuff.com) might be able to come up with something. He told me he
had an RCX too.

Hmm.
On the OmniRemote website, they make this statement:
"The (3Com OS3.0 upgrade card) IR is more powerful than a true Palm III, more
powerful than the OmniRemote Module and sometimes even more than
the original remote."

This leads me to believe that not all Palm's have the same IR range.  The best
range may come from the addition of an upgrade card.

If OmniRemote works at least some of the time, that seems quite positive to me.
There is a way to communicate, just that the OmniRemote is not specifically
geared towards learning non-IrDA protocol that LEGO uses.  The framework is
probably there, but needs to be reworked with LEGO protocol.

Would folks be willing to spend $$ to buy some sort of add-on to their Palm?
-Mike

I think I would, if it was performing according to the OmniRemote people's
statements for range and power.  I'd buy 3Com's upgrade instead of theirs.

Ed