 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 80
Re: Alternate NXT-Firmware flashing tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:43:35 GMT

Hi Christian,

"Christian Mock" <chrimo-@-moccy.xdsnet.de> writes:

yes this is a trivial job, but what should I learn from this packets ?

if you have an endianness problem it should be visible.
The easiest would be to compare it with a little-endian machine.

fwflash returns no error back to commandline ...

Does this mean fwflash works blindly and returns no
protocol or packet errors ?

It uses the SAM-BA protocol, which is rather simple and without
error checking, more like what a human would type on a command line,
except that some parts are in binary.
It is documented in the AT91SAM7S data sheet.
Basically it allows to access memory and start programs on the device.

Flashing is done by loading a small program into memory
for flashing a page, then for each page the data is loaded
and the routine for flashing is executed on the data.

Why is the result "success" ???

As far as I remember there is no error checking,
which explains why error sometimes go undetected
and the NXT doesn't boot.
Error checking could be added, though.

I hoped that anybody of the "creators" have done this
before, or is nobody using fwflash with the NXT ?

I used the version in NXJ successfully both for the NXT and
for an AT91SAM7S-EK evaluation board, which uses the same processor.

But you could be the first to use it on a big endian machine ...

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/