 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 71
70  |  72
Subject:
Messing with memory pool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:26:57 GMT

I'm working on a custom firmware with a new VM.  I'm currently trying to reuse
the NXT-G memory pool to hold data for the new VM, but I'm running into
problems.  Apparently, doing a memset to set all of the pool to 0x00 causes the
firmware to crash.  This takes place in the cCmdInitPool function, replacing the
following statement:

for (i = 0; i < (POOL_MAX_SIZE / 4); i++)
    ((SLONG*)(POOL_START))[i] = 0xDEADBEEF;

I haven't messed with the VarsCmd.PoolSize stuff at all, so it's still 0.  Nor
have I messed with any of the NXT-G VM memory allocation functions, since in my
firmware they will be replaced by functions from my VM.

Is there any reason why this memset would cause the firmware to crash, and if
so, how would I possibly be able to fix it?

Thanks,
Jeremy Rand