 Robotics / NXT / 904
Re: pbLua Beta 13c Team Hassenplug NXT Software Comparison Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:38:14 GMT

Walt White wrote:
The Team Hassenplug web site has an NXT Software Comparison at
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftware.html to help people compare
features of different programming languages.

The pbLua Beta 13c distribution includes steveTest.txt which was written by
Ralph Hempel so pbLua could be included in the comparison.

It appears that steveTest.txt was written for an earlier version of pbLua.
It only loops for 6 seconds instead of 60, and it also didn't include three
of the four required display steps inside the main program loop.

Walt,

Thanks a LOT for updating the example. Do you mind if I pull the code
from your site, reformat if necessary and include it in the test code
section of my distribution?

You will, of course, retain primary credit in the source file.

This kind of community participation is what really helped bring the
original pbForth to a decent state, and I'm hoping that as some momentum
comes up behind pbLua that the trend continues.

I fiddled around with steveTest.txt and got it to work with Beta 13c.  The
results I got are:

Speed (loops per minute)
        32,578 with all four LCD updates in the main loop.
        57,888 with the four LCD updates commented out.
Memory
        1750 bytes
Time to write
        Yes
Program
        Code1
http://firstcoolbreeze.home.comcast.net/steveTest/steveTest13c.txt
        Code2
http://firstcoolbreeze.home.comcast.net/steveTest/steveTest13cNP.txt

Those results are pretty decent :-) I'll see if I can tweak the code
to run a bit faster...

Formatting displays is expensive because it calls into sprintf(), and
I'd like to optimize the display update so that the refresh code is
called ONLY when something has been written to the display map...

Ralph