 Robotics / NXT / 897
896  |  898
Subject:
pbLua Beta 13c Team Hassenplug NXT Software Comparison Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:38:21 GMT

The Team Hassenplug web site has an NXT Software Comparison at
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftware.html to help people compare
features of different programming languages.

The pbLua Beta 13c distribution includes steveTest.txt which was written by
Ralph Hempel so pbLua could be included in the comparison.

It appears that steveTest.txt was written for an earlier version of pbLua.
It only loops for 6 seconds instead of 60, and it also didn't include three
of the four required display steps inside the main program loop.

In an earlier thread, Dick Swan and Steve Hassenplug discussed the merits of
these LCD display update speeds.  For information, Dick provided two speeds
for his RobotC code - one speed with the four required displays in each
loop, and another speed with those inner displays commented out.  I like
knowing both speeds because the simple applications I write such as sumo and
line following don't care about updating the LCD quickly but do care very
much about the speed of reading a sensor and making a calculation in a loop.

I fiddled around with steveTest.txt and got it to work with Beta 13c.  The
results I got are:

Speed (loops per minute)
        32,578 with all four LCD updates in the main loop.
        57,888 with the four LCD updates commented out.
Memory
        1750 bytes
Time to write
        Yes