 Robotics / NXT / 841
RE: NRLink reading RCX response w/ RobotC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:24:19 GMT

There are three steps to reading an I2C message from a sensor.

1. Send a message to the I2C sensor to initiate the read. Look at the
   program "NXT HiTechnic Accelerometer" in the RobotC sample programs
   folder for an example that you can clone. Generally, as a minimum,
   this program sets up the sensor's internal register pointer to
   indicate what sensor registers are being read. Most sensors have
   multiple registers.

2. Continuously loop checking whether I2C messaging status is "busy".
   Based on the non-busy results "no error" or various "errors" you
   can proceed to step 3 or abort.

3. Now read the reply message.

Your program skipped step 1. Once you add this it looks like it will
work.

Do a search on the nxtasy forums for keywords "ROBOTC" and "I2C". You
should find a good explanation of ROBOTC's "Test I2C Messaging"
capabilities. This provides a terrific method for testing I2C devices.
I have used this to verify NRLink successful operation with ROBOTC.