 Robotics / NXT / 774
773  |  775
Subject:
Progressing from RCX to NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:20:07 GMT

SHORT VERSION

Can anyone point me in the direction of some simple NXT models, preferably of
fun things like vehicles, that a smart rising 4th grader can build on his own,
that will inspire him to explore NXT?

LONGER VERSION

My son is 9 1/2.  We gave him an NXT for Christmas.  I realize that he is below
the targeted age range.  Although he is interested in the NXT, he has found the
complexity frustrating.  He has built a couple of the models, with some
assistance from me, although my assistance has been mostly limited to
downloading the instructions for Roboarm and exploring some aspects of the
programming with him.  I have hung back a little bit to allow him to find his
own comfort level with it.

He went to a one-week robotics summer camp, which was great, except that the
camp uses RCX.  I didn't even think about that when I signed him up, but it
makes perfect sense, since the NXT is less than a year old.

He was thrilled with the camp, and he learned a lot, however, he is now
convinced that RCX is much easier to work with than NXT.  My sense, having no
direct experience with RCX, is that there may be some truth to the idea that RCX
is more  accessible to beginners, which, if so, is truly unfortunate.

So, my question is this:  can anyone point me in the direction of some simple
NXT models, preferably of fun things like vehicles, that a smart rising 4th
grader can build on his own, that will inspire him to explore NXT?

Thanks.