 Robotics / NXT / 1102
1101  |  1103
Subject:
NXT programming tools on Windows 2000 - connection problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 22:56:10 GMT

I wonder if anyone can help me to solve persistent connection problems
between the NXT and Windows 2000. I have had these problems for a
considerable length of time.

I have several NXT utilities, including NXT-G, BricxCC and NextScreen.

With the NXT-G software, it is sometimes possible to connect the NXT via
Bluetooth, though only if the NXT is at or close to full power. A
successful connection is established around 1 in every 4-5 tries. NXT-G
has never worked over USB on Windows 2000, and I have read that this is
to be expected.

BricxCC has never connected successfully over Bluetooth, but has
previously connected via USB on rare occasions.

NextScreen has never connected.

My Bluetooth drivers work with other devices, and the Fantom drivers
seem to be installed correctly, particularly as they work on occasion.
My Bluetooth device is Class 2 and I have a variety of USB cables, all
of which work with other devices.

At the end of this message I have outlined the complete procedure which
allows NXT-G and the NXT brick to communicate (sometimes).

The NXT is recognised by Windows in Device Manager and shows no
installation errors. The driver consists of a single file: fantom.sys
I have read that libusb0.sys should also be present on Windows XP.

The most logical conclusion seems to be that the NXT is faulty, except
that NXT-G works first time every time on Windows XP via Bluetooth.

I would be grateful for any help on getting this set up properly in
Windows 2000.

Thanks

Dave

-----NXT-G PROCEDURE-----

> I am using Widcomm Bluetooth drivers, supplied with my device.

Edit the file, <.\Program Files\LEGO Software\LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT\MINDSTORMS Options.ini> so that: BluetoothSearchTimeout=120

Pair NXT with PC - from the PC (making the NXT a slave and providing a serial port service), and save config as a shortcut (Widcomm check-box option). With that saved, unpair.

Reinstall the NXT driver from: http://mindstorms.lego.com/support/updates/ It is version 1.02

Clear Mindstorms NXT-G software of all previous connections. Do not pair NXT with PC. Do not allow other Bluetooth devices to connect to the PC or NXT at this tme.

Scan for devices in NXT-G. Status should be 'available' Connect. Enter passkey. Confirm on NXT Brick.

Successive connects require the Bluetooth device to be restarted ("stop Bluetooth device"), and for the Brick to be turned on while NXT-G is connecting (or off and on).

-----END PROCEDURE-----