 Robotics / Micro Scout / 4
Re: FS: R2D2 decorative pieces from Droid Dev Kit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.robotics.microscout
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:50:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Ben Jackson wrote:

I could probably part with the MicroScout too, if someone really wanted it.
It's very simplistic.

It IS programmable via IR if you have an IR from an RIS. that seems to
increase the versatility a fair bit, akthough I haven't tried it yet.

Actually it's programmable via visible light from a Scout (RDS).  It speaks VLL
(see pages 66..68 of the Scout SDK).  Even so, it only has a light sensor and
one builtin motor.  Its builtin seek-light program (reverse until you see,
light, then go forward) is about as sophisticated a program as you can make.
In fact, that's an entire VLL opcode.  You can just use a fiber cable to drive
the motor from the scout (so the scout gets a third output) but it's only a 3v
motor, and a really bulky one at that.  If VLL is anything like IR, there will
be a 0.5s latency for motor commands anyway.

When my S&H order arrives with my fiber optic cables I'll see how useful it
really is.  So far I've built the canonical microscout bot (anything that goes
forward in a straight line and turns in reverse), tried the builtin programs
(seek light is briefly amusing).  I did set a Scout to 'Forward' and hit run
while the MicroScout was in P mode.  If you practially press them together the
MicroScout beeps a bit but doesn't actually start the motor.

I was thinking about using it to control a train switch...  Assuming a switch
engine is built on the scout it could transmit to the microscout at close range
and activate the switch...

FUT lugnet.robotics.microscout

--Ben