 Robotics / Handy Board / 92
91  |  93
Subject:
Weird LCD problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 00:02:22 GMT

(Summary - LCD not reading D0 value)

Well the parts finally arrived in the mail for me to start working on my
HB.  I have been assembling it step by step to ensure that debugging would
be as simple as possible.  I am at the stage where I hook up the LCD and
power up IC.    I took my 40x2 line LCD that I used with my miniboard and
hooked it up.  Loaded IC and it seemed fine till I rebooted.  Instead of
printing Interactive C .... it printed some of the characters wrong.  A
quick glance at the characters told me that the low data bit (D0) was low
and by printing test messages to the screen proved me right.  So I started
to debug.  I spent quite a while checking resistances between wires (for
shorts), voltages etc and reheated some joints with no luck.  Anyway to
make a long story short(er) I unsoldered the d0 line and jumpered it up to
+5V.  Reran the board and still no luck.  I checked the voltage on the
correct pin of the LCD controller chip and they read correctly.

So now I am wondering if this has happened to anyone before?  Is there
anything that I can do?  Right now, half of the commands and characters do
not work.  This is very frustrating!  I would rather not have to buy
another LCD and don;t want to wait anymore in building the HB.  I am too
far along now!!

Thanks for the help,
Dave Negro
dln2@cornell.edu

P.S.  For those mac users out there I have started to port as11_ic to the
mac.  I thought that I had it done till I realized that I needed to take
care of the
#include
directive as well.  So it will be done as soon as I get some free time (3
tests beginning of next week)