 Robotics / Handy Board / 9
Re: HB died - HELP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 14:01:06 GMT

Keith,

You may have shorted something out while connecting up the battery.
I've seen this before, and parts do fry if you connect them to 9.6v.
If while you had the battery ground lead connected, you just brushed
the +v lead onto some pins, that would cause damage.  I will modify
the instructions to tell people to be extra careful when installing
the battery, like I said, you are not the first person to do this.

I would bet with 80% confidence that the TxD line is burned up on your
'a1 processor.  This would explain (1) the PWR light not going off
(it's hooked up to the 6811 TxD output) and also (2) the 'a1 processor
being able to sort of run IC but not sync (i.e., communicate with the
host).

Here are some things to do:

* with the 'e2 chip installed, burn the config register to 0x0c (i.e.,
download the config0c.s19 file with the download options set to
EEPROM).  Then try the pcode download (to RAM) and see if it works.

* order another RAM from Jameco and try it out.

It's probably just the processor and/or the RAM.  Not too terrible, if
somewhat inconvenient, but at least the parts are socketed.

-Fred