 Robotics / Handy Board / 8
7  |  9
Subject:
HB died - HELP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 06:54:48 GMT

HELP . . .
My HB has stopped going into bootstrap mode.  Hope
someone out there can help!!!

The HB had been working fine.  I was having fun with
IC, and I finally got around to the Fuse and Battery
final assembly (Part 6 of the assembly instructions).
After installing the fuse and connecting the batteries, I
noticed I can not get the HB into bootstrap mode any
more.  The symptoms are the PWR LED (LED10) stays
on when the stop button is pressed during power on.

I pulled all the ICs except those needed for the
tests at the end of assembly part 1 (enough to test the
serial circuity and bootstrap load).  The BATT and PWR
LEDs do the correct thing for on and off, but not "on
with STOP button held" - PWR LED alays stays on.
Voltage readings look normal
in ON, OFF and "on with STOP button" modes at CPU
pins E, A15, MODA and RESET.  However, the TxD at the
CPU always reads 3.49V

To debug, I replaced the HB's A1 CPU with my MB's E2
CPU, plugged in the RAM and LCD.
The board starting working better (i.e., LEDs did
the right things).  When I download PCODE, however, it
gets as far as byte 7424 out of 7504 bytes before the
Macintosh Download program reports  the byte not
matching (using PCODE from the latest IC release
the byte not matching is at 7360).  TxD will drop to 0.24V
with the E2 when the STOP button is held during power up.

Interestingly, with the E2 chip, if I power cycle the HB
after the faulty PCODE load, I do get the IC V2.81
display in the LCD with the heart beating, but IC won't
sync.  If I replace the E2 with the A1 and power the
board, the A1 displays the IC message correctly in the LED
and the heart beats on the LCD, but IC
won't sync - not surprising since PCODE did not
completely load.

So, is my A1 CPU shoot?  Is it in some strange mode (the
config reset code won't even load)  Is my RAM shoot?  Or both
(ouch!)?  Can I use the E2 in the HB?

I am positive I had the battery connected
correctly in step 6, but something fried.  The board had
been running IC without problems for some time, and
everything has tested/worked.

Any input would be most helpful!!!!!

Thanks

Keith Hacke