 Robotics / Handy Board / 879
Re: Mini Board or Handy Board?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 20:54:11 GMT

From: sdh5319@ksu.edu (Scott Hammerschmidt)

I am just getting into robotics and microcontrollers, and have run up
maybe the Handy Board would be better since it would be more versatile, and
that would justify the higher cost.

A little background, my first robot controller was the 1802 based ELF
processor ca. 1979, it didn't do much.  The first mobile robot I built
was tethered to a Heathkit H-8.  The first untethered robot used a
Xerox 820 mainboard, and a lot of batteries!.  I have been using
miniboards for 3 years, and the handy board for 1 year.

In my opinion, for someone just starting out, the handy board is worth
the extra money.  With the LCD display, you can debug untethered.  The
built in power system is quite handy.  The IR input is wonderful,
using a universal remote, you can remote control your new creation
until it is autonomous.  The biggest win though is interactive C.

A robot is a collection of systems.  There is the intelligent system,
the power system, the drive system, etc.  The handyboard has built in
the intelligent, and the power systems.  Building a robot isn't
usually "bolting stuff together and writing code", but with the
handyboard it almost seems like it.

When you add some new sensor, motor or whatever, you can test it more
quickly, by writing a small module in IC, and you know if it works
within a few minutes or hours rather than perhaps hours to weeks.
Testing on the bench is easy using IC, and you see results quickly.

--
tgb@bnr.com