 Robotics / Handy Board / 874
Re: Pic16c84 programming with Handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:11:52 GMT

David --

The MAX662 chip I used on the last beta rev was not the magic bullet I
hoped.  Not only is there possibly the rise time problem you mention,
but when the thing turns off, it outputs 5v.  The PIC needs a swing
from 0v to 12v to enter program mode.  So I ended up with a transistor
switch also.  Thus the program ckt is the MAX662 plus two transistors
(needed to let a 0-5v logic signal turn on and off a 12v level).

I am scheduled with my publisher to work on the Expansion Board over
the Dec holidays.  Right now I haven't been planning to include the
PIC programmer on the Expansion Board, but I could be convinced
otherwise.

I guess the main reason to include a PIC pgm circuit on the Exp Bd
would be to encourage cross-platform use of PICs.  There seem to be a
lot of readily available and cheap designs for building PC-parallel
port PIC programmers.  But maybe there is nothing out there for Mac
users?  David, is your PIC programmer code written in IC?

Enclosed is a copy of my last public message regarding my Exp Bd
plans.  Comments and discussion are still welcome.  Especially if you
want that PIC circuit, now is the time to argue for it!

-Fred