 Robotics / Handy Board / 8641
8640  |  8642
Subject:
Overcharged NiCd Batteries?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:06:21 GMT

Overcharged NiCd Batteries?

Hello,

I recently built a handyboard and bought a set of 8 1000mAh NiCd batteries
for it.  I charged the batteries using the handyboard and a 12V 500mA DC
adapter from radio shack.  I only charged the batteries for approximately 12
hours, and they seem to work fine.  However, when I measure the voltage of
the batteries, it's higher than 9.6 volts, when they dont work any more.  I
then tried a charger that charges at 150mA and left it on for approximately
16 hours.  The charger had not turned off yet when I stopped charging.  The
batteries measured over 11 volts with no load.  After draining the batteries
once again, I measured the voltage when I had the handyboard turned on.  It
measured 7.8V.  When I turn it off and unplug the batteries, the voltage
slowly rises to 9.4V.  Is this normal or should I get new batteries?  I was
also wondering if the 500mA power adapter is adequate for the 1000mAh batteries.

Thank you for your time,

Jeremy Overesch