 Robotics / Handy Board / 8640
8639  |  8641
Subject:
Pcode loading woes (on Mac)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 04:44:29 GMT

Dear Handy Board users,

I have just assembled a Handy Board from components + PCB, and have
verified that the 68HC11 is operating, the memory chip is receiving
pulsing on its address / clk lines, and that the Charger / Serial
board is working.

However, I am having trouble downloading pcode to the board.  I have
perused the archives here, but haven't found a posting relevant to
my case (i.e., with a Mac)...  For the record, I'm using a 68HC11E1CFN3
on the HB.

Here are my symptoms, in addition to what I've done:

-- Just to be sure, using the Nov. 1999 version of 6811 Downloader
   MCL PPC, I set the "config" register of the 68HC11 successfully.
-- I have swapped out the memory, HC11, 232 chips to verify consistency
   of wrong operation (result:  no change)
-- 68HC11 successfully enters bootstrap mode when cycling power w/"STOP"
   button pressed (i.e., "PWR" LED on HB momentarily lights...)
-- LCD displays 16 5*8 characters (no change before or after pcode
-- Using either the 6811 Downloader MCL PPC or the commercial Interactive

   C version 3.1 program to download pcode to the HB both result in a
   "successful" download (i.e., pulsing of HB "PWR" and serial board
   "SER" LED during the first phase, pulsing of "SER" LED during second
   phase).
-- Subsequent power cycling of the HB doesn't bring up the Interactive C
   prompt on the HB LCD display (I have tried the freeware IC as well).

So, I am wondering if anyone else has had these problems, and if
so, how did you fix them??

For the record, I'm running MacOS 9.1 on a PowerMac 7500 w/ Powerlogix
G4 card... haven't had any trouble with running any applications
(including LinuxPPC)...

Any help from the community I would greatly appreciate!!

Thanks,

Andy Clark
<aclark@aeclark.com>

p.s. -- I made my own serial cable from Mac to Charger/Serial board,
just as indicated at the handyboard.com website, so I think that's
not an issue...