 Robotics / Handy Board / 856
855  |  857
Subject:
upper address byte, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 03:06:20 GMT

Greetings all

    I'm currently working on what you might call an expansion board.  I
need to gain access to the upper address byte, A15-A8, the E clock, and the
reset line, in addition to the data bus.

    just a couple questions.

1.  I know i read somewhere, i think it was something Randy wrote, about
using a wire wrap socket for the ram to get at the address lines.  Was that
meant as plug the wire wrap into the existing socket?  Unfortunately the
socket currently on my board is a machine pin socket and the .025 inch wire
wrap pins are too big!  Would replacing the ram socket with a couple strips
of female header have any adverse effect on operation.

2. How much current can the DS1233 sink during a reset pulse.  I know I
could probably get this from Dallas Semi., but if anyone has tied into the
reset line and had success let me know.

I figure if I can replace the ram socket and the 'hc132 socket with header
strips and use wire wrap sockets on a, i guess, daughterboard.  I could
then get all the lines I need.

If anyone has tried any of this I would love to know about it.

BTW, if you're interested in really precise control of your bot's motion
check out National's LM629.  Write now I'm working on hooking up a couple
LM629-LMD18200 pairs to the HB.  This thing is really neat.  Send a couple
bytes of info to the 629 and you bot moves a specific distance and waits.
Or it'll keep going at a set velocity.  Also, the all important IC lines
are free.  The 629 takes care of the encoders and PWM to the motors.  Built
in PID filter even controls acceleration.

you can even get National to send you some samples to try out.  Very
important, the 629's are $50 each. ouch!

just something to think about.

matt

Matthew J. Harlan
Cornell University