 Robotics / Handy Board / 8381
Re: Instructions for building own Handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 18:56:11 GMT

Thanks for the advice.  I might check out the kits.  I'd really like to do
it all myself - it helps having a Fry's Electronics about 2 miles from my
house, but I understand about the multiple shipping charges adding up.  It's
also a matter of cost: Easier to plunk down $20 here and there, rather than
the whole nut at once.

Thanks again,
James Wilson

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
James,

Gerber files can be found in the Hardware:PCB Layouts link.  The HB is a fairly
complex board -- are you sure you want to make it by hand?  If you haven't gone
from Gerber files to boards before, the HB probably isn't the best board to
start with.

Also, please be aware that there is a cost penalty to buying all the parts
yourself, since you must use multiple parts dealers and pay shipping/handling
charges to each.  (Some of the part sources are obscure -- see http://
handyboard.com/faq/display.php?key=money)

I really do support the "roll your own" experience -- that's why I wrote the HB
Assembly Guide -- but I strongly recommend you compromise a little bit and buy a
full parts kit from one of the HB suppliers.

You and your daughter will be much happier, and you'll be able to actually build
robots a lot sooner.

Fred

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, James Wilson writes:
At the risk of coming off like a complete newbie (which I am) to this stuff,
where can I find "Handyboard for dummies" kind of information about the
Handyboard.  I would like to build one from scratch (etching the board) this
summer with my 10-year-old daughter.  The FAQ and handyboard.com are good, but
I need more how-to info.  Any suggestions?  And thanks if this gets answered a
lot -- I searched the messages in the group and didn't come up with much help.

Thanks,
James Wilson