 Robotics / Handy Board / 8315
8314  |  8316
Subject:
Max amps via modified HandyBoard motor source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:41:43 GMT

Hi all:

I've modified the HandyBoard by cutting the PCB trace as detailed at
http://www.handyboard.com/mods/hbmcut.html, and I have a couple of questions
before I destroy something.

I'm connecting two 1500mAh 7.2V NiCd batteries in series to the 4-pin motor
power header, and I'll be driving two 12-24V motors that draw 0.8A (stalled)
at 14.4V.  Assuming there's a peak current pull of ~3A total, which the
NiCds will easily source, will the power trace on the HandyBoard hold up?

What about a continuous 1.5A current pull from the motors?  I mean
'continuous' to be 10-20 minutes, or until the batteries are dead.

What's the theoretical current limit that could be fed through the external
power source connectors?  3A?  4A?  The 16awg wire I use is probably only
good to 5A anyway, but I'd be surprised if the wire was the limiting agent.

Thanks for any insight,

--
William Sitch, B.E.Eng. (1999) Carleton University
OCIECE Master of Engineering Candidate