 Robotics / Handy Board / 8314
Re: LEGO Rotation Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:53:48 GMT

Rob, a few Q's:

1.  Can you verify that +9v is being applied to the sensor by
    transistor Q2.  Measure the voltage at the collector, you should
    see a pulsed waveform (rectangular wave) with +9v on's and 0v
    off's.  (Refer to http://handyboard.com/hbexp30/expsch30.gif)

2.  What is the characteristic of the waveform -- how long is the
    on-time, how long is the off-time?

3.  There should be four discrete voltage levels on the sensor
    depending on the rotational position.  Can you see them and what
    are the voltage levels?

These are all sanity checks that the hardware and software driver are
working correctly...

Fred

In your message you said:
This is a follow up to my original question about the rotation sensor.  When
we hooked the sensor up to the oscilloscpe and the Handy Board, we could see
the voltage transitions on the scope.  Now, we truned the sensor very slow
(about 2 ticks per second) and every once in a while, the Handy Board would
count backwards, in almost all cases (when this did happen) it would count 4
voltage transitions as two.  For example, It would output: 8, 9, 8, 9, if we
were starting from 7.  So this is not a case of turning the sensor too fast.
We cannot seem to fix this problem.  Thanks for your responses.