 Robotics / Handy Board / 8280
Re: Short Circute Problem -- EMERGENCY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 00:51:30 GMT

Hi guys ,
               i tried all the tests mentioned in the HB assembly to find out which
part of the HB blown. No luck. i am giving the results here:

1) Tested the interface and charger board -  looks good. (Both power supply and the
MAX232 circuit)
2) Tested the Power supply for processor - good.
3) tested the clock freq of processor using voltmeter - good
4) tested the power for memory chip (U2) - good (in both on and off states)
5) Checked the bootstrap mode - good.
6) there is some problem with the battery led- when i switch on the HB it is
supposed to be on (in case of no charger connected) but it is not consistent. some
times it does , some times it is not. some times it flickers coupleof time. along
with this
led the motor indication LEDs also shitch on randomly every time i switch on the
HB.
7) i am able to download the pcode. but when i reset the board by switching off and
on still it displays the black boxes in the first line of LCD.  LCD flickers and
fades away some times.

please help me with what should i do next. I am guessing memory chip is fried . but
don't know how to test it.  i need to test the processor too. no idea how to do
that. the test i did in step 3 is only clock check right? it may not be meaning
that 6811 is working properly... am i right?  please help me with this. if i need
to change these ics where can i get these?

Thanks,
Raj

raju kammela wrote:

Hi Rainer,
               thanks for your advise on this. i will fallow the test cycles
mentioned in HB
manual. What i noticed is , charging circuit(changeing/interface board) working
and
HB is working in bootstrap mode also.  it is able to sync with IC in bootstrap
mode
and then i was able to download the Pcode. when i reset the board it is not
starting
working so. do you think it is the problem with processor? let me know if you
have
any hint about this.  i will give you more details once i go through the
testing cycle in
HB manual.

thank you very much for your help. i appreciate it.
Raj

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Rainer Balzerowski writes:
In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Raju Kammela writes:
Hi Guys,
        I got a serious problem with my HB. Bymistake my 12 volts 1 amp • power
cord touched to HB(which is on at that time) circut track near the HB's • direct
charge connector. then there is short circuit crisp sound from that are and • HB
stoped working. I switched off the HB and switched it on again. LCD is • showing
black boxes on the first line. Then i tried reloading the pcode. it is going
into boostrap mode and load was sucess. when i resetted the board it not
working again. i loaded pcode number of times still no use HB is not working.
every time i switch on HB one of the motor outputs or going high.
          i thought only LCD is gone. but it is not, board is not responding
to IC except in bootstrap mode. so my question to you is where should i start
checking in the HB to find out which component is blown. do i need to change
the processor. please advise me......... any help in this matter is
appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Raj

Hi Raj,

first you should have a look at the assembly manual
http://handyboard.com/hardware/assembly.html

There are testing description for every step of assembling.
So you'll possibly find the proplem on your own.

If not you will have to describe the spot you touched your HB more precise .

Did you mean charge connector on the little board from page11 from the manual • ?
Then perhaps your bridge rectifier (AC-DC Converter ?) is gone with the wind,
or the 5 Volts DC regulator or ...

Look at their testing hints !

Rainer