 Robotics / Handy Board / 8259
Re: Sonar and the expansion board.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:04:57 GMT

Hi,  Try some of these techniques from the sites list here and see what you
get. If you still get the errors in readings then you should assume that there
is a problem with the board. Fortunately all chips on the board are replaceable
and there is a test code to help determin what is at fault.
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/musliner/sonar/list
http://www.verinet.com/~dlc/sonar/dlcsonar.html

I also see that in the handyboard diagram they are suggesting to use a 0.1uF
polorized electrolitic cap rather than a non-polorized tantulum. try that too.
-Dan

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Nick Golder writes:
I am having quite a problem with getting the proper readings from the
sonar.  Here is a little background on what I have tried.  I have a total
of four driver boards and four sonar modules.  I have soldered on the
non-polarized tantalum 0.1uF capacitors in the C7 slot on the boards
already.  Things get hairy when I load the sonar.c code and run
sonar_display() which seems to display random variables from a range of
around -28000 through 35000.  I have tested each board and the same
results.  The sonar driver board connects to the handy board via the
expansion board through a foil ribbon cable.  Is there any thing on the
expansion board or the handy board that could have failed and how could I
test it?  Both of these items I have acquired used.  Any help would be
appreciated.  As you have expect, this is becoming quite frustrating.
Thanks in advance,

"Breaking stereotypes since 1977."
Nicholas Golder