 Robotics / Handy Board / 8248
8247  |  8249
Subject:
2 RealTimeJava for the 68HC11 Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 06:56:11 GMT

Hello All,

I am having lots of fun with my newly constructed Handy Board.  I have also
downloaded the simple RealTimeJava for the 68HC11 and been using that.  It
has worked well for me and I am inclined to continue using this as my tool
of choice for further Handy Board development.

However before I do so I was hoping to get answers to 2 general questions
regarding this environment from anyone who has been there before.

1.) How much slower can I expect the code to run?  (I know I will incur some
overhead due to the VM, but I was wondering if someone had some real world
experience with what I can expect)

2.) I fully expect to need to make the hack upgrade to 64K of external RAM
that is posted on their site.  This is a little scary to me as my Handyboard
is working fine now and I would hate to mess it up peforming this hack.  So
my question is has anyone done this and is it relatively painless or can I
expect major headaches?

Thanks,

Brian