 Robotics / Handy Board / 8172
Re: handy board serial port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:32:55 GMT

Hi Michael,

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Michael Lim writes:
Hi

In regards with programming the serial port to talk to a mouse, if i only
want to use the existing baud rate and settings to talk to a modem, can it
be done?

It's not that hard you are thinking !
check out this document and you'll see it's not that hard !
http://ebus.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/MICROCONTROLLERS/8-BIT/68HC11_FAMILY/DATA
BOOK/M68HC11E.pdf

Do I still need to reprogram the HC11 chip? I only need 9600,n,8,1 settings
which i assume is the current configuration on the handyboard.

Depends on what handshake you're using.

Is there any other things that I need to change?

I don't know how this works at handyboard, but i've managed to get this running
with the previous board (6.270 with an ATMEL microcontroller).
Both board are using the 68HC11 so i guess it must be the same.
What you've got to do is switch the 68HC11 from bootstrap mode.
I've got some functions written by FRED MARTIN here, we have used.
I can't remember were i found them. The file is called serialio.c.
If you can't find it in web i'll send it per e-mail.

what you've got to do is:
disable bootstrap mode (pcode mode)
  poke (0x3C,0);
enable bootstrap mode (pcode mode)
  poke (0x3C,1);

Oh I actually read that this file is for HANDY board and does also work with
6.270. So that should be the right thing for you.

I have already crossed the RD and TD signals and also generated a +5V on the
DTR. What other pins must I "twigged"?

Depends again on what handshake you're using.

PS: I am only a software programmer, not an electronic guru. Please explain
in simple terms. Thanks.

What' that ?? An Excuse ??      ;-)

Rainer