 Robotics / Handy Board / 8097
8096  |  8098
Subject:
announcing handyboard.com !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:34:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear Handy Boarders,

I'd like to officially announce some changes in the Handy Board
world.

First, I've left MIT.  My last day of work was August 31, 2000.  I'm
don't have a new job yet, and I'm not sure when (or if) I'll have a
normal job.  (I do have an application in progress for a faculty
position at a college in the Boston area.  Keeping my fingers crossed,
my second interview is in November.)

One of the things I'll be working on in the coming months is revamping
the Handy Board web site.  I'll be making it interactive with places
for people to directly post their own comment, ideas, etc.

I'll also be working on new educational technologies.  Some might be
very related to the Handy Board world; others might be very different.

This will be a business enterprise for me, so there will be commercial
products in the future.  The core Handy Board design will always be
free, and I have strong beliefs in the value of free software, so I
hope to navigate this transition in a way that's positive for all.

I'm also (finally... cough) finishing my book.  I've returned page
proofs to my publisher, and I think it's scheduled to be available in
January.  See <http://www.media.mit.edu/~fredm/robotic-explorations/>
if you didn't know I was writing a book :-).

OK, now two very practical matters:

(1) The Handy Board home page is now officially:

  http://handyboard.com/

All updates to the site will be done there.  I'll be adding banners to
the MIT-hosted pages pointing to the new pages, but you may as well
"update your bookmarks" now.

(2) The MIT-hosted mailing list is going away.  That's OK, because
we've been using LUGNET for a year now, and LUGNET has graciously
accepted us "full time."

I'll be working with Todd Lehman of LUGNET to move people who are
still on the MIT list over to LUGNET mail delivery, so if you're just
a "lurker," you won't see any interruption in service.

However, e-mail sent to "handyboard@media.mit.edu" will be dropped.

In order to post to the HB list, you'll need to sign up for posting
privileges at LUGNET (at http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/).
Then, you can write and reply to messages on the web forms
(http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/handyboard/), or by emailing the
address "lugnet.robotics.handyboard@lugnet.com".

Todd and I will be sending a separate email with more specifics to
people still on the MIT list.  We'll move you over, and then send
information.

So, that's it for now!  See you at handyboard.com -- and check out the
FAQ, it's served from a database now :-).

Yours,
Fred