 Robotics / Handy Board / 8077
Re: Battery Power and handyboard.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:48:52 GMT

i'm not sure if wiring two nicad packs in parallel is a good idea.
the packs would fight each other if either one's voltage varied even
slightly from the other.

i'd recommend either (1) John's initial suggestion of adding a
separate pack solely for motor drive, cutting traces as he mentions,
or (2) replacing the stock pack with a higher capacity one.

get the best nicad you can fit into the case.  should be able to get
900 mAh or better.

just don't go nickel metal hydride; those require a different (more
complicated) charging circuit.

fred

In your message you said:
Jerry,
I really haven't timed how long a battery charge lasts on the Handyboard but •  I
did add a second 9.6v battery pack for the purpose of isolating the motor
power from the logic circuit power. I did this to eliminate motor RF
interference to the sensor readings. As a side effect my time between
recharges has increased. I had to cut the motor power trace and ad a jumper • to
the expansion board to power the motors, expansion servos and lego ports. I
see no reason why you couldn't just add another 9.6v battery pack in paralle • l
to the original. In this way you would maintain the 9.6v input but effective • ly
double your ampere hour capacity and your time between recharges.
John Edwards