 Robotics / Handy Board / 8073
8072  |  8074
Subject:
Battery Power and handyboard.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:34:51 GMT

Hi,

       Quick question.         How much runtime are you getting with
your Handyboard based robot?
With sonar /IRPD pinging once per second and my sensor array being
controlled by two servos and
my Lego motors pushing the 6 wheel drive rover I am getting 2Hrs.  Has
anyone doubled up the NiCADS
in paralled , put them in a deeper box and try that?  I was wondering
how that would work.  Nickel Metal
Hyride is just about the same charging specs as NiCAD.  Perhaps a Nickel
Metal Hydride 9.6 volt 3.4Amp
camcorder battery???

     To stretch battery life I moved my read_iprd code into my
ping_sonar module, that way they never
get hit at the same time.  InfraRed LEDS suck current too.  I turn them
on 3 time in a row for a 1ms pulse
but still If I do that while I ping the sonar, my Spazbot will shake the
sensor array. The PWM signal to the
servos or the power to the servos must be sagging.  next time it gets
the shakes I am going to throw my
oscilloscope on it  to see what's up.