 Robotics / Handy Board / 804
Re: Wrong port or boot mode.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:40:04 GMT

Several possibilities:

* sometimes serial port stuff breaks on the fastest machines.  do you
have a slower computer you can try?

* the cable is straight-thru (a modem cable, actually).

* did you check that the interface output voltages behaved
appropriately?

* run a terminal emulator pgm on your pc and check that data typed at
the console is transmitted out the serial interface rj11 connector
(using a logic probe).  set the baud rate to 300 baud, and when you
type characters you should see the green LED flash on the serial
interface.

try these things and let us know...

fred

I am in the process of building a Handy Board and I have just completed
assembly step 4.4.  When I try to download using hbdl, I get the following
error message "wrong port or boot mode".  Both BATT and PWR LED are off, I
believe that the board is in bootstrap.  My computer is a Pentium Pro
200MHz running under Windows 95.  I have already searched the Handy Board
mail list archive, with no luck.  Should the serial cable between PC and SI
be straight thru or null modem?  I have tried both types but, neither seem
to work.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.